Yesterday, we all went as a family to tour a preschool. We've known from the very beginning that we wanted Baby Bear to attend this preschool and we placed her on the waiting list shortly after she was born. We received an email last week that she had a spot so we made an appointment to take a tour. I had been to the preschool before since it is located at the college I work at. The school has a wonderful reputation in the area and is child-centered and developmentally based which was something we really liked about the program. I also happen to know the director there so it was nice to tour the place and be greeted with a hug while we were there.
We really liked the school. Papa Bear like what he saw and really liked how it was all set-up. Baby Bear was ready to stay there and play with the kids. They are play-based and don't force the children to do anything. As a developmental psychologist, I think that play and the developmental approach is very important for a preschool so I really appreciate that approach. All the children looked very happy and they seemed to be enjoying their time there. The 2-3 yr old class has 18 students and 3 teachers, with college students who work there as well. So an excellent student to adult ratio. Actually, one of my own students happened to be working in the class as we were touring. So wonderful to see so many familiar faces. I later spoke with her and asked her perspective and she had glowing reports. I had also spoken to a colleague who has her daughter there right now (who we saw when walking through the older kids class) and she had good things to say about it as well. It is not for everyone, but I have heard mostly positive things about it. The negative things I have heard are not ones that I feel would impact my decision. No school is perfect but we feel this is a right fit for us.
So without hesitation we placed a deposit to hold our spot. Although we should probably look at other preschools, this just felt like the right fit for us. Maybe I will look at one more school just to have a frame of reference, but when it is right, it is right. It is very similar to how we selected our current daycare. I did look at one other place and liked it but was hesitant for several reasons. When we found our current place, I wasn't as hesitant and when Papa Bear visited we knew right away that was the right place for us. And it has been perfect and we love it there.
I can't believe my baby is getting ready to go to preschool in the fall. After our tour, I brought Baby Bear to daycare and spoke with our wonderful daycare lady. We both got teary-eyed at the thought of Baby Bear going to preschool. I cried... My baby is growing up too fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment