Wednesday, March 10, 2010

9 month well visit and stats

Baby Bear had her 9 month appointment yesterday. She is on the smaller side, a petite girl. She only gained 2 oz since her appointment last month. So she is 16 lbs 4 oz and 26 1/4 inches (9th percentile and 16th percentile, respectively). The pediatrician is not really concerned since she is meeting all her milestones and looks great. She is not off the charts but we will have a weight check next month to monitor her weight gain and make sure that she continues to gain.



I am trying not to worry about it since she is otherwise healthy and she doesn't look skinny by any means. Baby Bear has some chubby thighs (sadly she got that from me). She is nursing well and takes all her bottles when I am at work. So I know she is eating. She is not the best eater when it comes to the solids, but she is doing better. She is now eat 3 solid meals a day. We introduced breakfast last week and she is just getting used to that. I also introduced yogurt and at first she didn't care for it, but this morning I added some oatmeal to it and she ate almost 2 tablespoons. Then, tonight she had two tablespoons of homemade baby food. She usually only eats half of that. So I am very glad to see her solids eating habit improve.

She is just very easily distracted and is a busy body. She will eat a few of spoonfuls of food and after that she needs to have a spoon or something in her hands while I feed her. I usually have to sneak food in her mouth while she is playing with her spoon. She readily eats it when I sneak it in and definitely lets me know when she no longer wants anymore food, so I know it is not that she doesn't want to eat. I think she would rather play than eat. One things she really likes to eat is her puffs. She has some with every meal and I have been introducing some finger foods. She really like sweet potato fries. So she is definitely eating.

I also have to remember that Baby Bear is very active and now that she is mobile I am sure that makes a difference. She is probably burning extra calories since she has developed these new milestones of crawling and standing. The pediatrician is not worried so I shouldn't be either. Baby Bear is a happy healthy girl. Some one has to be small and petite, we can't all be average. That is what makes us all individuals and special. Baby Bear is definitely special. She may be small but she has a big personality. She is awesome no matter how big or small she might be.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard not to worry, isn't it? I remember Charlie's 7 week check-up, hearing the doctor say that he needed to stop eating so much, and it was awful. I felt like the worst mom ever. Baby J is fine! She's thriving! She's just small. And Charlie's just big. We can't all be average height and weight.

    ReplyDelete