Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A room of her own

So it has been almost 3 years since we moved into the remodeled main house. In all that time, Lil J's room has been used as storage as we were in the midst of the remodel and getting the house livable. So she has been in our room for over 4 years. We were all ready for her to have her own room and space. She was definitely looking forward to it and wanting her own space. One day she had built a fort with her toys and told us we could not go into the space because it was her space. It was time, it was way past time.


Earlier in the summer, daddy finally emptied out the room and we selected some paint for the walls. She was involved in the whole decision making process. I picked out a few colors and we put up 3 colors on the wall and she selected the final color, a beautiful aqua. Perfect to off-set the pink explosion of toys and accessories she already owns. 

She got to pick out the ceiling fan in her room. The one she originally picked out was out of stock but she saw another one, which just so happened to be clearanced (even better for our wallets!) and worked really nice with the bedding we picked out for her room.

Untitled

Then just a few days after school started we got the carpet installed and it was finally ready for Lil J to move into. That first day we put the air mattress in her room so that she could sleep there. She did really well and didn't crawl into our bed until early early morning.

Untitled

The next weekend, we made a trip to IKEA and picked out furniture for her room. IKEA was good for our wallets and Costco was our go to for a mattress.

Daddy assembled her bed frame and toy storage and desk.The room turned out very nicely and is room I wish I would have had when I was a little girl. All the colors coordinated nicely. 

Untitled

We like the Stuva modular system in which we were able to mix and match her toy storage system and a desk. Of course she picked out the pink cabinets. No problem since it went together nicely with her aqua walls. The desk was perfect with the chair we had picked up from IKEA a couple of years back. 

Untitled

She really loves her room. She spends a lot of time in her room at her desk playing with her castle and drawing. What has been great is that I can tell her to go to her room to play instead of watching TV all the time and I think the time she spends watching TV and playing on the iPad has decreased. She still has her screen time and requests it, but she definitely spends more time pretend play with her princess and ponies.

Untitled

I love hearing her play in her room, it is such a wonderful sound. She typically starts off sleeping in her bed and crawls into our bed around 4am. Some nights she sleeps in her room the entire night. At any rate she loves her room and her own space and I enjoy not being kicked in the middle of night, I just get kicked in the morning when it is time for me to wake up anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment