Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Feelings of sorrow and devestation

Tonight I received an awful phone call from my best friend's mom. She was about 7 months pregnant and the baby girl she was carrying in her womb no longer had a heartbeat. She was not ready to talk to anyone quite yet but wanted to let me know what had happened. My heart broke when I heard this news. I was devastated for my friend and I just wanted to hug her. But I want to respect her wishes and give her the space and time she needs with her family. I can only imagine what she is going through. I believe that she will have to deliver the baby and the baby will have to be named with a birth and death certificate. I am filled with so much sorrow.

My best friend was pregnant with a baby girl. This was her third child and although she was surprised when she found out she was pregnant, she was excited and embraced having another child. I remember when she first told me she was pregnant again. It was just weeks after Baby Bear was born. I was so excited and secretly hoped that she would have another girl (she has a 6 year old boy and a 4 year old girl) so that our little girls could grow up together as we did. And she was indeed going to have a little girl. I just talked to her last week and all was well. I don't know why this happened.

I have known my dearest friend since I was in the 7th grade and she was in 8th grade. We met when I made the drill team. She was a year older than me and my lieutenant in drill team. But, it wasn't really until high school that we really became very close friends; we were in drama and Chamber Singers together. We spent a lot of time together in rehearsals. I remember being so sad when she graduated from high school and left me behind. Fortunately, she never really left me behind. Our friendship continued to grow and we have been through heartaches with boys, college graduations, and watch each other get married and have children. She was my matron of honor and I just asked her to be Baby Bear's Godmother. She is such a special person in my life and my heart aches for my friend and her loss. I am so sad.

There has been too much loss this year; this needs to stop!

2 comments:

  1. Sher, I am so, so sorry. Not just for your friend and her huge loss, but for you. I wish there is something that I could do.

    A close friend of mine lost her baby in early 2009. She was due a month after me, and we were very excited to have babies together. It didn't work out that way, and it still makes no sense. It's still devastating.

    I am here if you want to talk. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am so so sorry to hear this. How devastating. I don't even want to think about what they are going through. I will keep you, your friend and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

    {hugs}

    ReplyDelete