This morning we made a trip to the emergency room. I had never had to go to an ER before and I hope we never have to go again. At about 1:30 this morning, Papa Bear and I woke up to Baby Bear throwing up. We co-sleep and she threw up on the bed. We got up changed her clothes and cleaned her up. She asked to nurse, so I nursed her and put her back to bed. Papa Bear went to the couch to sleep so that she could have more room. She started to fall back asleep for a little while, then I heard her throw up even more, pretty much her entire dinner. Papa Bear came back in the room to help clean her up again. Poor thing, she was throwing up and look at what she had done and told me "mess, mess." She had made a mess. We gave her a little water and she held on to her sippy and started to drift off to sleep again. A little while later, she started to vomit again, this time just water. I was hesitant to give her more water, but she wanted some and I didn't want her to be dehydrated. She finally slept for 3 hours. I, on the other hand, woke with every little move she made.
She woke up that morning at 6:00am and seemed to be doing okay. She asked for milk, so I nursed her. A little while later she vomited the milk up. I gave her water and then she vomited again and this time it was yellow. So, I called the on-call pediatrician who told me to give her some juice and wait to see if she kept it down within the next hour. If not, we should go to the ER. Well about 15 minutes later she threw up the juice. So I got dressed and off we went to the ER. We were checked in pretty quickly and saw a doctor. She was really kind and good with Baby Bear. As we waited for the anti-nausea medication she spit up a little bit. The nurse came in and gave her some anti-nausea medication and then we waited for about 20 minutes for it to kick in. They gave her juice and waited another 20 minutes to see if she could keep it down. In the mean time the doctor ordered a chest x-ray to be on the safe side. For the most part Baby Bear was in good spirits while we were there. Since there weren't many people there they did not have a problem with Baby Bear walking around the hall for a bit. But once more people checked in they asked us to stay in the room.
The x-ray was not fun. They put her in some contraption that kept her arms up and as I held her hands she just looked at me and cried. They wanted her to cry so that she could take a breath as the did the x-ray. It was so awful to see her tear stricken face looking at me. She wanted me to get her out of it and I couldn't do anything. I felt so awful. But it was a good thing that we did the x-ray no matter how upset she was. The x-ray showed that she had a mild case of pneumonia. They gave her two shots of antibiotics and a prescription. Since she was able to hold down the juice, the doctor said she could have anything. She wanted to nurse so much so I finally nursed her and she fell asleep as we waited to make sure that she didn't have a reaction to the shots.
She was fine the rest of the day and was back to her old self. I am glad we caught the pneumonia early to treat it quickly. The ER wasn't so bad an experience but it is not a place I hope to visit again soon.
How scary!! Glad baby bear is feeling better.
ReplyDeleteAnak had came down with pneumonia a few months ago. I didnt have to go to the ER, but we did do the chest xray, and since I'm pg, I couldn't be in the room with her. They had to bring someone else in to help hold her down and I waited outside the door and listened to her scream. So so upsetting. I totally broke down on the way home. But of course, I'm glad we got it done so she could get the meds she needed.
{hugs to baby bear!}