Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fever

It was a rough weekend. It started last Thursday when she had a mild fever so I kept her out of preschool. She felt better at lunch time, so I brought her to daycare so that I could go in to work. After I picked her up that afternoon, she felt warm again. That night Baby Bear had a temperature of over 104. That was absolutely scary. We gave her ibuprofen and read online on ways to bring a fever down. We used a cold washcloth on her forehead and had her drink water. It wasn't easy since she was not a happy girl. If we didn't get her fever down after 30 minutes of trying these things, we were going to bring her to the ER. Her fever did start to go down and after an hour or so went down to 101. She had been so hot, that we were constantly cooling the washcloth down. She was so lethargic and refused water, she didn't want a bath. She was miserable. We could finally tell that her fever was down because she started to play again with some toys. By that time it was time for bed. She slept, but through the night I was constantly checking her and feeling her. In the middle of the night she felt hot and I tried to take her temperature in the dark, which didn't really work without waking her up. At any rate, I gave her more ibuprofen because she felt warm.

My poor little girl, she felt so bad.



The next morning she woke up and her fever was back up to 103. I call the doctor's office as soon as they opened and got an appointment for that morning. I emailed her preschool to let her know she would be out again and I emailed my office to let them know that I would likely be in late. We had a VIP coming in around 11am, so daddy and I figured out how I could get back in the office by that time. I later learned that the meeting time was pushed early and my boss told me I should stay home and that Baby Bear need me. I am so fortunate that she is so understanding and really appreciates me. I was especially grateful since I had been sick earlier in the week and took some time off. It was a bad time to be taking time off since I had a ton of work to do with a conference that I had been planning forth at was in a week.

So we went to the doctor and by then her fever went down to 101, so that was good. He took a look at her ears, listened a long time with the stethoscope to her heart and her breathing, looked in her mouth at her throat, and said he knew what was going on. Baby Bear had a severe sinus infection. She needed some antibiotics and he also prescribed some over the counter meds to controlled with her congestion. So we headed to the pharmacy downstairs and got what we needed. It is so nice that there is a pharmacy in the same building. We went home and it was such a struggle to get her to take any of her medicine. She still had a fever so she needed to take the Tylenol and the ibuprofen. Plus, she needed to take the antibiotics and the triamenic to help with her congestion. I staggered giveing them to her and somehow I forced down what she needed. She watched some tv then finally settled into a nap. She had such a hard time breathing during her sleep since she was so congested, it was so hard to see her struggle.

Her fever fluctuated the entire day so I had the washcloth close by to help bring her fevers down, tried to get her to drink water, and continued with that the next couple of days. I was just getting over being sick earlier in the week, so I was a little out of it and was starting to go crazy trying to figure out which med I had already given her and what she needed to take when. By the end of the weekend she seemed to be feeling better, her fevers were mild; fluctuating only up to 101 and she was eating a bit and drinking a bit more. She was still heavily congested and struggled breathing through her nose when she slept. But she was on the mend and better enough to go back to preschool on Tuesday. (Monday was a holiday but I still needed to go to work, since she was no longer feverish she went to daycare).

Looking and feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment