Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2 month doctor visit

Today, Baby Bear had her 2 month appointment with the pediatrician. She is healthy and doing very well. She is 11 lbs 9 oz and 22 inches! Her head circumference in 15 inches. My baby girl is growing so fast. Just last week she was 11 lbs 2 oz. Of course, she had just eaten when the nurse weighed her today so she may have been a few oz heavier.

Baby Bear received some vaccinations at this visit. My poor baby had to have 3 shots (Hep B and two other combo shots) and an oral vaccine (Rotavirus). She was so happy and good through out the visit, then came the shots and she screamed and cried. I felt so absolutely awful. Then the nurse started to give her some of the oral vaccine and Baby Bear vomited. They waited a little while to give her a little more and she vomited again. They waited a little longer and gave her the rest and luckily that time she was fine. I don't know if she really got any of it. My poor baby was so miserable. It was a rough morning for her. I just held her close to comfort her and felt so bad.

Afterward, we went to our last meeting of our mommy group. Baby Bear did well there and seemed to do well the rest of the day. She didn't have a fever and she didn't show any reactions to the vaccinations. I was very thankful for that. She slept well the rest of the afternoon.

It does seem like way too many vaccinations for a little baby and I am wondering if I really want them to give her so many at once. At the next appt, she will have one less shot and they may not give her the oral vaccine due to her reaction today. I know there are other options in terms of vaccination schedules so I will have to do a little more research on that. No matter what it is very important to me that she be vaccinated. I think today was so much harder for me than it might have been for her. I just hated seeing her so upset.

2 comments:

  1. Poor baby. :(

    Charlie had his appointment last week, and he got two vaccines: Hep B and pneumococcal. He did cry but was okay after we held him for a bit.

    I wonder why he didn't have the other shot(s) and the oral vaccine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I wonder if different pedis do different things when it comes to vaccines.

    I'm glad J is healthy, though! Here's to a better day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, poor girl. It seriously breaks my heart to see my LO scream bloody murder after getting shots. :-(

    ReplyDelete