Breastfeeding is not easy that is for sure. I have a plugged duct on my right breast. I have had it for almost 2 weeks now and I can't seem to get rid of it. I have followed the advice of my lactation consultant at the feeding clinic and the information found on kellymom.com, yet it hasn't relieved itself. I do a hot compress, massage the lump, and have Baby Bear empty the breast or pump to empty the breast if she doesn't do it.
I am worried that if it doesn't get any better that it will become infected and turn into mastitis. It hurts when I massage it each time that Baby Bear eats, but I also know I have to be aggressive in treating it so I massage it through the pain. My postpartum appointment is in a week so if it doesn't get better I am going to have to talk to my doctor about it. The joys of breastfeeding!! It is just not joyous or fun. I am a cow for my baby!! I hope it gets better and easier. I really want to continue to breastfeed but there are days I want to stop. I am just taking it week by week but my ultimate goal is to make it for a year (I'll be happy if I do 6 mos.). Baby Bear is doing so well; she is gaining weight and doing so well. I can't believe that she is already 9 lbs. 11 oz. She is becoming my little chunky bear. I love it!! She is just the best!!
Aww Sher. HUGS. I am so lucky in my nursing relationships and really adore it. RE: the plug duct, you may be trying to do too much to fast. Lots of rest, lots of water. Stopping nursing will probably make it worse not better. I'm assuming kellymom's site tells you to turn the baby's mouth so the sucking is strongest on the part with the lump?
ReplyDeleteAll that healthy weight your baby put on YOU did that and only YOU can do that for her. When I went back to work after Christian I felt like I was replaceable, someone else was taking care of my baby, BUT I had something they didn't, *I* was giving him milk and that reconnect when I was able to nurse him again was so special and meant so much to me and kept me feeling like mommy and not just the provider of clothes.
Breastfeeding really does get easier. Just hang in there through your learning curve. Call me if you need any advice. I'll be glad to help. :)
I know what you mean, I've wanted to quit many, many times. Sometimes I think about how much easier it would be to just give formula, but in the end, I'm really glad that I've stuck with it. Plus, now that it doesn't hurt to bf anymore, I love the alone time we get together. My ultimate goal is 6 months, but I'd love to make it to a year.
ReplyDeleteHave you tried having Baby Bear bf with her chin facing the clogged duct? I *knock on wood* have yet to experience that, but that's what I keep reading works. Good luck, I hope it gets better for you too!
I'm so sorry. I had one and it hurt so dang bad. I actually have a recurring problem with that spot, but the first time was the worst. I found something that works, but I don't know if I would recommend it...
ReplyDeleteHang in there! It gets easier and better. Once you both get the hang of it, it will be amazing :)
Bex - what worked for you? I have a clogged duct as well and would love to know if something worked well! The heat and massage isn't really moving it...
ReplyDeleteThanks!!