No one ever really tells you how hard breastfeeding is. I took a breastfeeding class when I was pregnant and read up on it, but none of that really prepares you for it. It is interesting that something so natural can be so challenging, but then again having a baby is no walk in the park. I am very fortunate to have been able to breastfeed for a year. I met my goal and it was not an easy task.
I count myself as being very fortunate to have had a lot of support during this breastfeeding adventure. In the beginning, it was absolutely exhausting and Baby Bear was feeding constantly and I was a bit discouraged. Luckily, I was able to use the feeding clinic near me and see a lactation consultant on a regular basis (for free!). I started off going to the clinic a few times a week until I got the hang of it and then weekly for weight checks and support. I had a lot of questions and having that support and resource available to me really helped me out. It helped me as I worked on introducing the bottle to Baby Bear before I returned to work. That was another huge struggle. They helped me as I dealt with my clogged duct. They helped me as I prepared to return to work and pump while at work.
I know how hard it is to breastfeed and even after a year it is still a challenge. Two weeks ago, I developed a milk blister and it was so painful to nurse. I believe I might have developed an infection, because I had a fever and chills a week later, which I think had to do with the milk blister.
I have met my goal and now I am at the point where I am considering my next steps. A few weeks ago we introduced whole milk to Baby Bear and I started to supplement her daycare bottles with whole milk. Although I still have a freezer supply, it is slowly being used and my milk supply has been decreasing. I also got my period back which has impacted my supply, although I have been quite irregular. I hope to stop pumping at work. Pumping is a lot of work and I certainly won't miss that.
So I have set some new goals for myself: I am going to reduce my pumping schedule from 3 times a day to 2 times a day for this month and then to once a day in July. That will make a huge difference. I plan to eliminate all pumping by September.
I'll continue to give Baby Bear half expressed breast milk and whole milk until I have no more breast milk to give her. That will probably be through the summer. I would like to wean Baby Bear from bottles during the day and get her onto sippy cups. I plan to continue to nurse at night and in the morning for a little longer. I haven't decided how much longer, we will see how it goes.
Since Baby Bear is not the best eater of solid foods and isn't taking to keenly to the sippy cup, this process may take awhile for us. We just have to take it one step at a time.
Good goals Sher. I weaned myself from the pump at a year with Christian too. And moved him to the sippy cup. I was thankful to do it so he didn't get too addicted to that bottle.... Hang in there. The mama job is a hard one.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Sher! Breastfeeding for 1yr is a great accomplishment! I'm 9 months in and its been quite a struggle. I hope to make to 1 year, just 3 (long) more months..
ReplyDelete