Friday, June 12, 2009

Breastfeeding

I knew from the very beginning that I really wanted to breastfeed. There are so many benefits to doing so. But I also knew that although it was a very natural thing, it could be very difficult. I had no idea how difficult it was going to be. The first time just after birth, Baby Bear latched on right away and I felt very positive that this would work out. But in those first few days before my milk came in, it was very challenging. I was feeding her constantly; 2 hour feeding session with little break in between otherwise, she would fuss unless I breastfed or we held her. She slept very little. I was exhausted and had pretty much no sleep. The thought of breastfeeding around the clock was discouraging. I kept on going through the weekend until I was able to go see a lactation consultant at the breastfeeding clinic that my hospital referred me to. I was fortunate that the clinic was free and very close to home.

The lactation consultants at the clinic helped me tremendously. Immediately after going to the clinic the first time Baby Bear was a happier and easy baby. She didn't have to be held constantly and she actually slept in her bassinet rather than sleeping on Papa Bear or me. The problem was that she had not been getting enough milk from me. I just wasn't producing enough for her. So the lactation consultant had me supplement her feedings using a supplemental nursing system (SNS), which is a tube feeding system. The tube is inserted in her mouth as she is on the breast and allows her to get my breast milk and some formula. Initially I supplemented with formula and began to pump, so that I could supplement with breast milk rather than formula.

So that first week home, I went to the clinic 3 times and Baby Bear gained weight; she gained 10 oz. 3 days and was one ounce from her birth weight. That was a good sign considering that she had lost 10% of her birth weight. Now I am supplementing every other feeding and I am continuing to pump so that I can keep my supply up. I figure eventually I can freeze what I pump so that eventually Papa Bear can give her a bottle in about a month or so.

I plan to continue to utilize the breastfeeding clinic and go twice a week. It is such a great resource. The weigh Baby Bear before I feed her and then again afterward so that we can see how much she is getting from me. Hopefully, my supply will continue to grow and I can wean her off the SNS. If it weren't for the lactation consultants and the clinic, I might have been so discouraged with breastfeeding. I think I will be able to continue now and hopefully do so for the first year of Baby Bear's life. I feel like it is getting better.

3 comments:

  1. that's so awesome!! Glad they were able to give you the help you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She actually sounds a lot like Christian. I am so grateful I had my SIL to help encourage me and keep me motivated. Really try to reach your local LLL leader. They are breastfeeding mamas themselves and can really help you wean her from the supplement so she doesn't get nipple confusion or a lazy latch. Hang in there Sher. I wouldn't trade my nursing relationship for anything. Truly, it kept me connected to my kids when I was working. Plus, breastfed poop isn't as bad. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That clinic sounds fantastic! You're doing a great job, and it really does get easier!

    ReplyDelete