Friday, February 6, 2009

Our child care search

Yes, I will return to work after Baby Bear is born. I am fortunate to have maternity leave that is quite generous. I am still working out my maternity plan (I will share it with you later) but I realize that I still need to think about child care now. I am sure that finding a child care provider will not be an easy task.

The thought of child care when Baby Bear isn't even here yet, it an absolutely daunting task. You would think that a developmental psychologist would have some idea of where to start, but I was essentially clueless. I do have an idea of what I am looking for and what I want and what is important to me.

Unfortunately, many of mommy friends do not live close enough to give me any recommendations, but they have been great at giving me some advice. Fortunately, I did receive a recommendation from a co-worker. So that was a great place for me to start. Today, I met with a child care provider and took at look at her home child care. She was really great and she gave me a lot of great information. She told me what to look for and shared with me her own philosophy. I had a really good feeling about her and her place. The children who were there looked comfortable and happy for the most part. The baby there was soooo sooo cute.

Sadly, she doesn't anticipate having any infant openings until May 2010. But she did give me some great advice and a website to look for other home child care providers in my area who provide licensed care. She also recommended a couple of people she knew. That in of itself was very useful and at least gave me an idea of what to expect. I will probably contact her again later to see if she has any changes because I just really felt comfortable with her and her child care home.

So back to the drawing board. I knew that we would have to visit a few places before we found the right one. Her advice was extremely valuable and definitely worth the visit. I was very thankful that she took the time to meet with me and share that information.

No comments:

Post a Comment