Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Postpartum: 2 weeks and Belly Binding

.
In many cultures, women have been wrapping their post-pregnancy bellies to get back into shape quickly and naturally. Stomach binding has been around a long time especially with Eastern traditions. The theory behind belly binding is that by holding your stomach in for the weeks after delivery, you'll support your back while your abs heal and encourage your skin to snap back more quickly.

I figured why not give it a try. There are different postpartum wraps available, I bought a generic inexpensive one from Babies R' Us and I also go the Belly Bandit. They all claim to do the same thing and don't seem to differ from each other very much. In fact, you can use an ace bandage to wrap yourself. I do like the Belly Bandit a little more since it seems to fit tighter on me. I needed two of them so that I can wash one and wear the other.

I started wearing it once I got home from the hospital and I do think that it has made a difference in making my belly smaller. I saw a big difference in the first few days. I have already had to adjust it smaller since the first time I put it on. I have read that you should wear it for the 6 weeks or so day and night, I will give it a shot and see if it helps.

I gained almost 40 lbs by the time I gave birth. In the end I was so swollen so I think a lot of it was water because I seemed to have gained those last 5 lbs in the last week when I had Fred Flinstone feet. I continued to have swollen feet for the first week postpartum. Thank goodness that swelling has gone down. So far, I have lost about 20 lbs. Just 20 more to go!

3 comments:

  1. I just went back and read all your new baby posts - CONGRATS Sher. She is so amazingly beautiful and I can't wait to watch her grow up via the blog. I also have to say you look absolutely fantastic. You're going to be back to your 6-pack abs in no time! And not one stretch mark.. wow! Congrats on your new motherhood, an amazing husband and a beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sher, you look amazing! Thanks for mentioning the belly band, I had never heard of it :) Can't wait to continue to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on losing 20lbs already!! I'm afraid to weigh myself. :-/

    ps, I love my belly bandit too!

    ReplyDelete