Thursday, April 2, 2009

Breastfeeding Class

Last night, I attended a breastfeeding class at the hospital where I will deliver. I felt that it was a pretty informative class. I have no clue about breastfeeding, except for the benefits and that I plan to breastfeed. The class went over different ways to hold the baby, ways to relieve engorgement, how to detect a baby's feeding cues, nutrition, and had lots of tips and recommendations.

My plan is to breastfeed for the first year if possible. Once I return to work, I will pump and the class gave recommendations on when to start pumping and introducing the bottle to baby to ease in that transition. That was very informative. They also gave some recommendations on equipments and accessories to help a new mother be successful in breastfeeding.

I realize that some women cannot breastfeed for various reason, but I do hope that I will be able to do so. I didn't realize that there was so much to breastfeeding, you would think that something so natural would be so easy. I guess it is not always easy for all women and takes some time for baby and mommy. Luckily, the hospital where I deliver encourages and supports breastfeeding. There is a lot of support systems in place at the hospital to help new mothers to successfully breastfeed. The have a center devoted to provide support to new mothers. I have a feeling I will be taking advantage of that especially since it is walking distance from my house. I guess we'll see how Baby Bear and I do in a few months from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment