Friday, October 3, 2008

Week 4

Weeks pregnant are calculated from the week of your last missed period. Since I was charting my temperatures, I am quite fortunate to have an idea of when ovulation took place. So I think I am at about 4 weeks (when I finally have my doctor appointment, I will be able to confirm). The developmental psychologist in me wants to know what is happening and developing at this time. I've been looking back at my old books and I figured that each week I will share about how Baby Bear is developing.

The first 2 weeks after conception is call the period of the zygote. It is during this time that cells are dividing. We have past that first period and are now in the period of the embryo, which will last until 10 weeks (the periods don't really match up with the trimesters, but developmental psychologists talk about these periods).

Right now, Baby Bear is really tiny no bigger than a poppy seed (about one millimeter). There is a lot beginning to form to get ready to feed and protect Baby Bear: the amniotic sac (where Baby Bear will live for the next 9 months), amniotic fluid (to cushion the baby), and the yolk sac (produces nutrients until the placenta is fully formed and developed).

Exciting times ahead. I already have so much love for my little poppy seed. It is so exciting to know what is going on inside of me and how my Baby Bear is forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment